Thursday, June 3, 2010

Week 9- Strength

As our program draws to a close, I feel that I can honestly say that I have learned a lot about the character of the Ugandan people. Much of it comes from our daily interactions, both in the classroom and around town. For me, the greatest insight came from working on my independent research project. Unlike in the United States, here in Uganda HIV/AIDS is not something you can ignore. In fact, it is something I chose to embrace. As I began my research on the HIV/AIDS experience in Uganda, I was introduced to and interacted with HIV positive individuals. As we discussed their experiences and the problems they have encountered because of their illness, I was impressed by one resounding quality--strength. HIV/AIDS, as we all know, is a devastating disease that affects all types of people, especially here in Uganda. Stigma runs rampant and treatment is hard to find and often expensive. Despite all of the challenges that HIV presents, the individuals I talked to, one woman in particular, embodied a sense of perseverance and courage. These Ugandans have not crawled under a rock and prepared to die, even though without a cure this disease is a death sentence. Instead, they are out raising their children, holding jobs, and making a good life for themselves.


Now, I'm sure for most of you reading this, it is nearly impossible to imagine a life with HIV. On top of that, your perceptions are based on a first-world, super developed standard of living. Uganda is far from that, which makes living with HIV an even harder endeavor. Living conditions are tough, jobs are hard to find, and HIV treatment can be incredibly expensive, if available. Against all odds, the people I have talked to are not letting this pandemic get the best of them. They fight the stereotypes, hold jobs, make money to send their children to school, and form relationships. An HIV diagnosis is not the end of the line; instead Ugandans fight the disease with strength and grace. While only 6-7% of the population in Uganda is HIV positive, I believe this characterization holds true for the majority of Ugandans.


The leaders of our program, Centurion, Dan, and Joel, took us on an incredibly journey, shared amazing experiences with us, and didn't give up on our group despite our missteps and naivete. Our professors, especially in the School of Public Health, demonstrated the strength it takes to work and research in Uganda and the importance of working to benefit your own country. An incredible body of HIV/AIDS research has been conducted here in Uganda, despite the lack of funding and resources. This perseverance to learn more will ultimately benefit Ugandans and the rest of the world. Finally, the people we have encountered on the street have been wonderful. Despite our foreign status, Ugandans are willing to help us with anything from directions to how to say "half a chicken." No question is too small and almost everyone seems to want to help us learn.


To me, the backbone of Uganda is strength in the face of adversity. The country may have a long way to go in terms of development, but the Ugandan people don't let that bother them. They have proven to me over these 9 weeks that you just have to believe, work hard, and keep on going. Hopefully I can take even a small amount of this knowledge back with me and start to see life in the US in a slightly different light.


Location: Kampala

No comments:

Post a Comment