Thursday, April 8, 2010

Week 1 - Here we go!!

Location: Kampala, Uganda / Murchison Fall
It is great to finally be here!! I have to admit I definitely had some pre-departure jitters but luckily when I stepped into the airport, I was suddenly calm and collected. This first week has been very eventful from our tour of Kampala to get phones and visit the market to the grand excursion to Murchison Falls. Shortly after arriving on campus at Makerere University, I was asked by a student if I felt at all out of place. My response was not at all. Although I am very comfortable at Northwestern and the U.S. in general, it is a completely different feeling to be in a country where I am apart of the majority. Its a special feeling and I especially love and appreciate that people cannot pick me out as an American. It makes me feel closer and more connected. During the Ndere performance, I was very excited to see all of these beautiful dances and our friend and guide Centurio leaned in and said welcome home. On another note, the poverty here is simply heart breaking. I had no idea of the magnitude in Kampala and of course I want to save everyone and it hurts when I have to walk by and act as if I don't care about their situation. I care more than they will ever know and hopefully I can make a difference in the future. This program is great for me because I love music, dance, and drama in conjuction with public health. Our guides and teachers are all wonderful and eager to help us. I am so excited to learn Luganda, perform, and get involved in the community. I truly feel blessed to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment