Thursday, April 22, 2010

Week 3- project update

Location: Kampala
In the quarter preceding our departure to Uganda, we each had to develop an idea for some sort of independent project that we would carry out during our quarter here. This being a program with a focus on public health and performance, I decided to do a project that would explore this theme.

Uganda has been one of the most successful African countries in combating HIV/AIDS, and much of this success can be attributed the effectiveness of performance – music, dance, and drama – in sensitizing the public on important HIV/AIDS related health issues. I decided to use this as a premise for my project, and put together a Hip Hop album addressing social issues, focusing on the experiences of HIV/AIDS in Uganda. My plan was to collect stories of HIV/AIDS related experiences throughout Uganda, in the slums, clinics, on the streets, and portray these stories through a Hip Hop album, in order to shed light on the issues dealt with in the album.

Of course, I was initially very uncertain as to how this project would unfold once I reached Uganda. Much of the success depended on help from people here, because I was depending on them to introduce me to artists, producers, recording studios, instrumentalists, and so on. I was nervous, because if I did not receive help, it would be impossible for me to network with so many people during such a short period of time.

I am happy to say that my project has been very successful thus far, and though I do not want to prematurely say that it is going to be a success, I am optimistic that it will. Almost immediately upon my arrival in Kampala, I met with two people who my contacts in the States put me in touch with, and they have been so helpful in introducing me to people and showing me around Kampala, and we have also become good friends. With their help, my project has taken off faster than I ever imagined it would, and I have met so many interesting people, made many friends, and become comfortable and familiar with the city. I have even been able to meet some of the more famous artists in Uganda through the people I have met.

I am excited to continue working on my project, meeting new people, and familiarizing myself with the city. There is still so much to do (on top of my classes), but I am optimistic that this project will turn out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment